The Prologue

We have had several questions about why and how we got into this whole airstream thing, which is a fantastic question. It was honestly not on our radar AT ALL. Dalton and I were doing long distance - he was playing ball & I was working full-time. We had an apartment in our hometown and I was done with the apartment life & actually started to do some house hunting. I thought it would be a great idea for us to put our money into something that we could see longevity with and get some return on, rather than throwing away X amount of money to rent each month. I had looked at a few properties and considered making offers on them, but nothing really seemed to be falling into place when it came down to the wire. 

A couple months had gone by & I had given up with the house idea (Dalton was never really keen on it to begin with). I ended up going camping with my in-laws and their best friends (the Kellars, who are airstream owners) one weekend while Dalton was away. I had always thought airstreams were cool & all, but I had never been inside one before. I remember stepping into their airstream and my jaw dropped. Guys, it's so beautiful. Clint and Dustyn Kellar are two pretty amazing individuals with incredible talent. Clint's pastime is carpentering and Dustyn is an amazing home designer in her spare time. They had just finished their remodel of their 2005 Airstream Safari, and let me say - I was intrigued. We got to talking and they told me that they had just bought a 1966 Airstream Safari that was in their backyard waiting to be remodeled. The only thing stopping them was someone wanting to invest in it. As we talked more, we came up with the idea of Dalton & I buying the airstream and doing a custom remodel with them. I decided right then & there - this was happening! & I never looked back. It took some convincing on Dalton's end. He was extremely skeptical that it would really work out, which had validity to it. The beast was super old and in terrible condition. It needed to be completely gutted and rebuilt from scratch. I was a bit naive regarding the amount of work needed to make the airstream livable. See photos below for proof 😆






At the time, it seemed like a huge can of worms that he wasn't sure he wanted to get into. We sat down one night to really talk out the good, bad, and ugly of it. It was a big commitment with our time and finances. I finally convinced him that night and we had a couple meetings with the Kellars to talk details and plans. The four of us jumped in head first to this project. I think I could speak for all of us when I say that we didn't truly know what we were getting ourselves into, and the work was grueling and meticulous most days... but, it was 100% worth it. Seeing the finished product at the end, and the epic transformation that Grace underwent, almost made us forget all of those moments where we wanted to throw in the towel & forget it altogether.  

So that's the why and how of the beginning of our airstream adventure. Check back soon for more about our renovation and this new tiny living lifestyle!

xo, Rebecca

Comments

Popular Posts